Friday, November 14, 2008

BIg trouble

I was at Rachaels house the other day and Rex needed his nap. I put him down in Rachael's room in a pack and play. It had been 20 minutes or so and I heard some knocking. Rachael had left with the kids to run a quick errand so I figured it was just a neighbor kid at the door. I answered the door but no one was there. I couldn't figure out where all this noise was coming from but it seemed to be coming from Rachael's room. I opened the door and Rex was running crazy. He had turned on her radio and was dancing around the room just having a good time. I was shocked. I had put the pack n play right next to her bed and he figured out how to escape.

This week we have been staying at my parents home while they are out of town and Rex sleeps in the office in a pack n play. I figured that if there wasn't a bed next to him he would have to stay in the pack n play or he would have a long fall coming out. Well this morning he had woken up early so instead of getting him I decided he needed to go back to sleep. He obviously thought differently and before I knew it he opened the door and was running around the house. I couldn't believe he would climb out. What do I do? If he climbs out of his crib that is a long way down and there goes nap time. I cant live without nap time. Has anyone ever used the crib tents? Any suggestions?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this sounds cruel but... Kaylee started climbing out of her crib at 18 months old, so we had to put her matress on the floor and flip the crib over creating a cage! Yikes I know, but she didnt seem to mind and I felt better knowing she wasnt running around in the middle of the night getting into things or getting hurt.

Unknown said...

Whatever you end up doing don't give up! He is young enough that he DEFINITELY still needs a nap so don't let him make you think otherwise. :)

Suzanna said...

I hate to break it to you, but your troubles have just begun! Does his crib mattress adjust so you can lower it? We've lowered Abby's to the bottom level and she's stuck (for now). Abby would never sleep in a pack n play so I have no experience with that. Nap time is crucial at our house, too, so I know how important it is!

P.S. We need to get together again soon!

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

turn the doorknob around so you can lock it from the outside. If he gets out, he can't have much else to do other than lay down and nap. Cade get's out of his crib, but since he has no toys in the room, he figures that he needs to take a nap. He hasn't gotten out of his crib in a while.

good luck

Elisa said...

Oh man, I keep waiting for Mia to do that! What a stinker! Whatever you do, don't give up, he needs his naps still. They make those canopy thingys to put over the cribs so kids can't climb out, but I have no idea how well they work. I like the idea of locking the door from the outside...

Kami said...

Oh man, I just saw that Amy commented about Kaylee being a terror and that's who I was going to comment on as well. They really did flip her crib over on her. It was like she was in prison when she went to bed. A guy in my bishoprich also did that with his son. Not a bad idea!

Liz Huntsman said...

LOL! Tyler never started to climb out of his crib/port-a-crib ... so I'll have to read all your suggestions in case Blake starts to do that. He just wouldn't sleep and wanted to sleep on his "big boy mattress". It was actually a smooth transition, only we had to lay down with him until he fell asleep and then we'd get up and leave. (Actually, we're still doing that now. LOL!) Good luck!

Sara & Ty Nelson said...

Hey Steph-
I just got a good giggle from your post. I guess it's only funny when you're not the Mom dealing with it right? Unfortunately I have no advice for you!

Rex is a cutie- can't wait to see you guys here in a few weeks! Let the Beck festivities begin!

Stacey said...

Hey I saw you had a blog from Trisa's blog. Hope you don't mind me stalking it : ) Rex is so cute!

Nat-a-baby said...

Natalie and I checked your blog tonight and absolutely loved it. And rex is the cutest kid ever! If you like you can add us on your friend list. Our URL is natandjoe.blogspot.com

Janadt.Huggins said...

I know Elicia just got a crib tent for Talmage and it seems to be working out. I think Rex is so stinking cute Steph.